Pork packing was begun, in a small way, in Sioux City, in the winter of 1872-3. The building occupied was a small wooden affair on Water street above Fifth. That season H.D. Booge & Co. killed 5,000 hogs. The experiment was a success, and the following summer a large brick building was put up on the site of the frame one, where the business first started. Additions to this building were made from year to year, until its capacity was increased to
500 hogs per day, and there was no room for further extensions. In the spring of 1881, work was begun on the pork house now occupied in the east part of the city. The site is all that could be wished. The Floyd furnishes drainage, and the nearness to railroads allows the cars of the different lines centering at the city to deliver hogs directly into the yards beside the packinghouse, and to load the manufactured product directly from the storage rooms into the
cars. There is plenty of ground, some fourteen acres of city lots having been bought. The new building cost over $100,000, and more than a million and a half of brick were used in its building. Competent judges pronounce it the most complete structure of the kind in the State. The ice is run directly from the Floyd River into the great 6,000 ton icehouse. For summer packing this ice in skidded from the icehouse into the refrigerator that occupies an entire story
of the main building. A stream elevator connects the different floors. In the fertilizer room, the parts that would otherwise go to waste are worked over into an odorless powder that is in demand for enriching the worn out fields of the east. Every part of the defunct porker is utilized, from the tough terminus of the snout, to the brush of bristles that beautifies the tip of the tail. The house has a capacity of 1,000 hogs per day, the capacity being measured by
the hanging capacity. This has been found insufficient for the hogs offered, and the coming season an addition will be built that will increase the capacity about 50 per cent.
Woodbury County Iowa, History of Western Iowa, 1882
Copyright 2002- by
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.